Logo

Jooish News

LatestFollowingTrendingGroupsBrowse
Sign InSign Up
Matzav

UK Blocks Trump From Using RAF Bases For Strikes On Iran — And He Is Already Retaliating

Feb 19, 2026·4 min read

The British government is reportedly denying President Donald Trump permission to use UK military air bases for a potential strike on Iran, amid concerns within London that such action could violate international law and draw Britain into a broader conflict.

According to a report in The Times, the White House has been developing contingency plans for possible military action against Iran that would involve the use of Royal Air Force Fairford in England. The base serves as a forward operating location for U.S. heavy bombers and plays a key role in long-range missions.

Trump is said to have discussed the issue directly with Prime Minister Keir Starmer during a phone call Tuesday night. British officials were reportedly uneasy about authorizing the use of RAF facilities for an attack, fearing that doing so could breach international law and expose the UK to legal and diplomatic consequences.

In public comments, Trump specifically referenced both the U.S.-UK base on Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean and RAF Fairford in England, arguing that the installations could be critical if Tehran refuses to reach a nuclear agreement with Washington.

“Should Iran decide not to make a Deal, it may be necessary for the United States to use Diego Garcia, and the Airfield located in Fairford, in order to eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous Regime,” Trump wrote on Truth Social Wednesday.

“An attack that would potentially be made on the United Kingdom, as well as other friendly countries. We will always be ready, willing, and able to fight for the U.K., but they have to remain strong in the face of Wokeism, and other problems put before them,” he added.

The dispute over the potential use of British bases is also said to be influencing Trump’s evolving stance on a separate agreement involving the Chagos Islands. The proposed deal would transfer sovereignty of the islands from the UK to Mauritius, while allowing Britain to retain control of the strategically vital Diego Garcia base under a 99-year lease.

The Chagos Islands arrangement is intended to resolve decades-old tensions tied to Britain’s colonial-era control of the territory. Diego Garcia, located nearly 6,000 miles from the UK, is one of the most strategically significant American military outposts, supporting bomber and aircraft operations across the Middle East and parts of Asia.

Earlier this month, Trump had praised the complex arrangement as the “best” outcome for Starmer, and the U.S. State Department expressed support for it earlier in the week. However, following his reported conversation with the British prime minister, Trump reversed course and withdrew his backing.

“Our relationship with the United Kingdom is a strong and powerful one, and it has been for many years, but prime minister Starmer is losing control of this important island by claims of entities never known of before. In our opinion, they are fictitious in nature,” Trump wrote.

“Prime minister Starmer should not lose control, for any reason, of Diego Garcia, by entering a tenuous, at best, 100-year lease,” he added. “This land should not be taken away from the UK and, if it is allowed to be, it will be a blight on our great ally.”

It is unclear whether Starmer, leader of the Labour Party and currently facing low approval ratings, will be able to secure enough backing in Parliament to advance the Chagos Islands agreement without Trump’s support.

The Chagos Archipelago consists of roughly 60 islands situated about 1,500 miles south of India. Its location provides Diego Garcia with significant strategic value due to its proximity to both the Middle East and South Asia. Britain has controlled the islands since 1814 and has been considering steps to return them to their original inhabitants.

{Matzav.com}

View original on Matzav
LatestFollowingTrendingBrowseSign In