
SHAVUOT ATTACK: A Man Has Been Charged in an Assault Outside a London Synagogue
A man was charged in the Shavuot assault on two Jewish men outside Beis Gavriel synagogue in the London neighborhood of Hendon.
The Metropolitan Police said in a statement that 25-year-old Daniel Nikzamir, of Sunningfields Road in Hendon, was charged with two counts of racially or religiously aggravated assault by beating, one count of assault by beating, and religiously aggravated criminal damage and criminal damage.
The attack occurred on May 21 at about 9 p.m., when the attacker assaulted the visibly Jewish men. Police arrived within 10 minutes and arrested the assailant, who had been detained by bystanders until help could arrive.
While no serious injuries were reported, one of the men sustained minor cuts and bruises after a punch to the face broke his glasses, according to a member of the synagogue speaking to the Daily Mail.
Nikzamir, who carries a German passport but may also be Iranian, appeared for a court hearing Saturday at Willesden Magistrate’s Court. After pleading not guilty, he was released on bail and is scheduled for another hearing at Harrow Crown Court on June 22.
According to police, just since March, 90 hate crime arrests have been made in London alone, 70 of which targeted Jews. As a result of the spike in assaults against Jews and Jewish-owned businesses and places of worship, a team of 100 police officers, including officers trained in counterterrorism, has been dispatched to London’s Jewish neighborhoods to patrol the areas and provide protection.
“Incidents of this nature rightly cause concern in the community,” said Detective Superintendent Will Lexton-Jones of the Metropolitan Police. “We continue to offer support to local residents, particularly to the two men who were victims of this alleged attack.”