Logo

Jooish

HomeSitesGroupsStatusPodcasts
Sign InSign Up
HomeSitesGroupsStatusPodcastsSign In
Yeshiva World News

IRAN SHIFTS POSTURE: Tehran Adopts More Aggressive Military Strategy As U.S. Talks Stall

Aug 12, 2026·4 min read

Iran has reorganized its military around a more aggressive posture as efforts to end the war with the United States remain stalled, raising the prospect that Tehran is preparing for another round of regional fighting, Bloomberg reports.

A series of senior military appointments by Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei represents a shift toward what Iranian officials describe as an “offensive doctrine.” Mohammad Reza Naqdi, an Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps general who advises the force’s new commander, said Iran must be prepared to take military operations into enemy territory when circumstances allow.

“Whenever the conditions are favorable and the order is issued, we must be able to take the operation into enemy territory,” Naqdi said, contrasting the new approach with Iran’s prewar doctrine, which he described as primarily focused on defense and preserving the country.

The shift comes as negotiations between Iran and the U.S. remain deadlocked, with a peace effort mediated by Pakistan and Qatar appearing increasingly difficult. President Donald Trump has alternated between threatening to resume attacks on Iran and expressing confidence that negotiations could bring the war to an end.

Trump has also claimed “total control” over the Strait of Hormuz, an assertion Iran has repeatedly challenged by attacking vessels traveling through the strategic waterway. About one-fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas moved through the strait before the U.S. and Israel began attacking Iran on Feb. 28. Traffic continues, but at substantially lower levels.

Despite the tensions, Pakistani Defense Minister Khawaja Asif told Bloomberg that the U.S. and Iran are “close to some sort of arrangement,” without providing details. Pakistani Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi, meanwhile, delivered a message Wednesday from Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and army chief Field Marshal Asim Munir to Iran’s leadership. Munir is leading the negotiations.

An interim peace agreement reached in June has been undermined by intermittent clashes and disruptions to maritime traffic. One provision established a 60-day negotiating period that is now nearing expiration. Pakistani Foreign Ministry spokesman Tahir Andrabi said Wednesday that it could be extended.

Former U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman offered a far more pessimistic assessment, saying the two sides are “definitely at a stalemate.” She said that unless Washington is willing to allow Iran and possibly Oman to impose voluntary tolls or provide Tehran with significant sanctions relief and access to frozen assets, a sustainable reopening of the strait appears unlikely.

“I think the reality is for the foreseeable future, if not forever, Iran will control the Strait of Hormuz,” Sherman said.

Separate discussions between Iran and Oman over reopening Hormuz to some maritime shipping have reached an advanced stage, Al Jazeera previously reported, citing a Qatari Foreign Ministry spokesperson. The U.S. is not directly participating in those talks and has resumed its naval blockade of Iranian ports.

Mohsen Rezaee, the newly appointed secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, said any agreement with Oman would remain separate from negotiations over fully reopening the strait. Iran has also conveyed demands to Washington through intermediaries, including an end to the war and the unfreezing of blocked Iranian assets.

Meanwhile, the conflict continues at sea. U.S. military officials said an Iranian missile struck an oil tanker Wednesday in the Gulf of Oman, causing light damage and no injuries. The incident followed another attack Tuesday against a vessel traveling toward an Iranian port in violation of the American blockade.

Despite the military escalation and diplomatic deadlock, Pakistan continues attempting to mediate between Washington and Tehran, leaving open the possibility of an agreement even as Iran prepares its forces for a potentially more aggressive phase of the conflict.

(YWN World Headquarters – NYC)

View original on Yeshiva World News