Logo

Jooish

HomeSitesGroupsStatusPodcasts
Sign InSign Up
HomeSitesGroupsStatusPodcastsSign In
Matzav

Trump Shuts Door on Iran Deal Extension, Claims ‘Total Control’ of Strait of Hormuz

Aug 17, 2026·4 min read

President Trump said Monday that he will not extend the 60-day framework agreement with Iran, signaling that the negotiating period established in June will be allowed to expire without a broader settlement while insisting that the United States now exercises “total control” over the Strait of Hormuz.

Asked by reporters whether his administration was seeking additional time for the Iranian framework arrangement, which was brokered by Pakistan in June, Trump gave a one-word answer.

“No,” Trump responded when questioned by reporters on whether he was pursuing an extension to the Iranian arrangement brokered by Pakistan in June.

Trump says the U.S. is not seeking an extension of the Iran MOU. pic.twitter.com/vO1fqS82vc

— Clash Report (@clashreport) August 17, 2026

The agreement had provided Washington and Tehran with a 60-day window to pursue negotiations toward a more comprehensive resolution of the conflict. That period is now nearing its end without the two countries reaching the wider agreement envisioned when the framework was established.

Trump said Iranian officials remain interested in reaching an accord but maintained that Tehran has yet to accept the conditions that he considers essential for any final deal.

“They want to make a deal, but they are not going to make the kind of a deal that I feel is necessary,” Trump said.

The president reiterated that preventing Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon remains the central American objective and said there would be no compromise on that point.

“Look, we’re in there for one reason: Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon. You understand that Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon, and they won’t have a nuclear weapon,” he added.

Trump was also asked about his comments last week suggesting that the United States could declare the Strait of Hormuz American territory. Rather than retreating from the idea, he again embraced it, arguing that the US blockade has effectively placed the strategic waterway under American control.

“Well, I just think it’s a great idea,” the president said.

“I mean, we control it. We control it with the blockade. We have a blockade. We control it with the blockade, and I like the idea of declaring it a territory. We have total control over the Strait. Now, they can be a nuisance … But the blockade has been very effective.”

Trump said the American naval operation has succeeded in keeping oil moving through the region, with millions of barrels passing through the strategic shipping route each week.

“We are taking out – maybe that will stop, or maybe it will open up even further – we are taking out millions of barrels of oil a week,” he said.

The president tied the situation in the strait to declining oil prices and suggested that Washington still has the option of dramatically escalating its actions against Iran if circumstances require it.

“The strait is open, and the oil prices are coming down, and they will continue to come down unless we decide to do something far more drastic than we are doing,” he said, noting that Iran is “in big trouble.”

Iranian officials, meanwhile, have strongly rejected Trump’s assertions about American control of the Strait of Hormuz. After Trump raised the issue at a rally Friday, Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi insisted that Tehran remains in command of passage through the waterway and said Iran’s restrictions would continue until the United States acknowledges its “strategic defeat.”

Gharibabadi directly challenged Trump’s claims in a social media post, asserting that the strategic waterway belongs to Iran and will remain under Iranian control.

“Once and for all, accept the reality: up to this point, you have suffered strategic and heavy defeats; the Strait of Hormuz has been Iranian, is Iranian, and will remain Iranian.”

The rhetoric escalated further on Shabbos when senior Iranian lawmaker Ebrahim Azizi mocked a recent security precaution involving Trump. The president had been transferred between aircraft inside a catering vehicle because of security concerns, and Azizi invoked that episode while issuing a warning.

“The US President ought to worry about his own security rather than his endless bluffing regarding the Strait of Hormuz; before he ends up hiding in a food truck,” posted Ebrahim Azizi, head of the Iranian Parliament’s National Security Commission.

Trump also addressed Oman on Monday amid its involvement in diplomatic efforts concerning Iran and the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz to shipping.

Asked whether he had grown frustrated with Muscat, Trump criticized Oman’s conduct but suggested that dealing with the US ally would pose little difficulty for Washington.

“No, I don’t think they behaved very well, but we’d handle them very easily, just like we do other things,” Trump stated.

View original on Matzav