
Netanyahu Could Reserve Likud Slot for Son Yair, Former Spokesman Nir Hefetz Predicts
Former prime ministerial spokesman Nir Hefetz has predicted that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu could use one of his reserved positions on the Likud candidate list to place his son, Yair Netanyahu, in a favorable position ahead of the 2026 election.
Hefetz made the comments Wednesday during an interview with 103FM, as Netanyahu weighs how to allocate the reserved positions available to him following the Likud primaries.
Could Yair Netanyahu Receive a Reserved Likud Slot?
Asked about Netanyahu’s likely choices for the remaining reserved positions, Hefetz suggested that the prime minister could make an unexpected decision.
“In my opinion, Benjamin Netanyahu, as is his habit, will throw the baby out with the bathwater,” Hefetz said when discussing the future composition of the Likud slate.
“This is a guess. Somewhere around the 15th spot, you will see a very, very ‘attractive’ figure whose name also happens to be Netanyahu. Let’s see if I’m right. Incidentally, I hope I’m not.”
Hefetz was then asked directly whether he thought Netanyahu might reserve a position for his son. The possibility of Yair Netanyahu receiving a place on the Likud list has previously faced opposition within the party.
Hefetz said the decision could ultimately depend on whether Netanyahu’s wife, Sara, wants their son included on the slate.
“I haven’t been in contact with [Sara] for many years, but I believe so. I could also be wrong; you know who prophecy was given to.”
Hefetz: Likud Slate Unlikely to Win Over Undecided Voters
Hefetz also criticized the outcome of the Likud primaries, describing the available candidates as “the lesser of the evils” when viewed as a complete slate.
He questioned whether the resulting list would help Netanyahu broaden his support before Election Day.
“The bigger question is whether the list is actually feasible, and whether it’ll get him the results he needs on Election Day,” Netanyahu’s former spokesman said. “I am certain the answer is no.”
He argued that the new slate does little to strengthen Netanyahu politically and could potentially become a liability.
“This list certainly doesn’t help him. You can debate whether it hurts him or not.”
According to Hefetz, however, the central issue in the upcoming election is likely to be Netanyahu himself rather than the individual candidates competing for positions on the Likud list.
“If there were democratic elections in Russia now, what would be the main question being discussed? Continuing the war with Ukraine and Putin, yes or no. In the State of Israel, which has also had a very strong leader for 17 years, the issue we are going into the election over is Benjamin Netanyahu, yes or no.”
From that perspective, Hefetz said, the precise positioning of Likud candidates is unlikely to be a decisive factor for many voters.
“It isn’t whether Amir Ohana is in second place or whether Nir Barkat has been pushed to the back of the list. This list certainly doesn’t help him. You can debate whether it hurts him or not.”
Hefetz also expressed doubts that the new Likud slate would succeed in reaching voters in the political center, including those who are considering alternatives such as Chili Tropper and Yoaz Hendel.
“I believe there are no people on this list who appeal to or attract undecided voters. Those who moved toward Chili Tropper and Yoaz Hendel, or those sitting in the middle on the fence, are not people considering voting for Gilad Erdan. Almost everyone on this list speaks to those who are going to vote for Netanyahu anyway, no matter what.”