Logo

Jooish

HomeSitesGroupsStatusPodcasts
Sign InSign Up
HomeSitesGroupsStatusPodcastsSign In
Matzav

Trump Declares ‘Economic D-Day’ on Iran, Threatens Nations That Keep Tehran Afloat

Aug 20, 2026·4 min read

President Donald Trump announced a sweeping new campaign of economic warfare against Iran on Wednesday, vowing to isolate Tehran on an unprecedented scale and warning that countries, banks and businesses that continue providing the Islamic Republic with an economic lifeline could themselves face severe consequences from the United States.

Trump unveiled the initiative in a Truth Social post, arguing that Iran had squandered an extraordinary opportunity to negotiate an agreement with Washington and would now face the consequences.

“No one has given the Islamic Republic of Iran a greater opportunity to make a Deal than me. TRAGICALLY, for them, they have failed to take it,” he wrote.

The president said the United States would now move to choke off Iran’s remaining connections to the international economy, with penalties potentially extending beyond Tehran to foreign governments and entities that help it circumvent American pressure.

“Therefore, today, I am announcing the MOST CRUSHING ECONOMIC OPERATION EVER TAKEN AGAINST ANY COUNTRY! This will be Economic Warfare and Isolation on an unprecedented scale.”

Trump portrayed Iran as already badly weakened militarily and economically, asserting that much of the country’s military infrastructure had been devastated.

“Their navy is gone, their air force is destroyed, their military factories are now rubble, their currency is worthless, and their country is hanging by a thread.”

The president then broadened his warning to governments, banks, corporations and other institutions worldwide, saying those that continue facilitating Iranian economic activity could find themselves targeted by Washington.

“Today, I am also announcing that ANY country that allows its financial institutions, businesses, airports, or government entities to provide any type of lifeline to Iran will itself face TREMENDOUS Economic Consequences.”

Trump listed several methods that he said must immediately cease, including schemes used to move Iranian oil and money or conceal Tehran’s involvement in international transactions.

“Oil smuggling, swap lines, cash transfers, exchange houses, ship registries, front companies – It all needs to stop NOW. You know who you are.”

Describing the new pressure campaign as “an ECONOMIC D-DAY,” Trump called on America’s allies to join the effort and help cut Iran off from the global economy.

“This will be an ECONOMIC D-DAY, and we need all of our Allies to stand with the United States of America to isolate, and defeat, the Iran threat.”

Trump predicted that the measures would sharply restrict Iran’s ability to operate and finance activities abroad, while again declaring that Tehran would never be permitted to acquire a nuclear weapon.

“These maniacs are on the ropes, and these HISTORIC MEASURES will cripple them and their ability to project terror worldwide. IRAN WILL NEVER HAVE A NUCLEAR WEAPON.”

The announcement came only hours after Trump told reporters that the Strait of Hormuz could become less strategically significant as additional energy pipelines are constructed and alternative routes become available.

“Record numbers of pipelines are being built. So I think the Hormuz Strait is not going to be quite as important as it was in the past,” Trump said.

When questioned about additional sanctions Washington could impose on Tehran, Trump indicated that the administration still had powerful economic tools at its disposal.

“We have things that we could sanction on Iran. We have very draconian sanctions, and we’ll see what happens.”

Those remarks followed another Truth Social statement on Tuesday in which Trump said Washington and Tehran were not engaged in negotiations as the 60-day window for talks reached its conclusion.

“There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran. The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect. The Hormuz Strait is open and operating. All water mines have been removed or detonated.”

That assertion appeared at odds with earlier remarks Trump made to Fox News suggesting that Washington was conducting peace discussions with Iran through a secret communications channel involving the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

The IRGC rejected that account. Spokesperson Hossein Mohebbi told the semi-official Tasnim news agency that Trump’s claim was a “delusion” and insisted that no discussions were taking place between American representatives and IRGC officials.

Mohebbi further maintained that Iran’s recognized diplomatic institutions were also not conducting negotiations with Washington, blaming the absence of talks on what he described as Washington’s “breach of promises.”

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei separately dismissed reports that secret contacts between the United States and the IRGC had taken place with the involvement of representatives from Iraqi Kurdistan. He also rejected claims that American and Iranian officials had held a covert meeting in Erbil.

Baghaei described the reports as “media techniques and psychological operations used to sow discord among Iran’s decision-making bodies.”

{Matzav.com}

View original on Matzav