
Chaos ensues at Ben-Gurion Airport after staff strike grinds Israeli air travel to a halt
A surprise staff strike at Ben-Gurion Airport concluded at 3:00 p.m. after workers halted all check-in counters an hour earlier on Thursday, declaring a “crisis” due to operational difficulties, challenges loading and unloading aircraft, and a shortage of parking stands.
According to N12 News, the majority of flights set to depart from Ben-Gurion today will do so without any luggage, with most of the airport’s employees yet to return.
Flights were grounded from 2:00 p.m after the Israel Airports Authority (IAA) said the union-directed work disruptions affected airport operations and services to the traveling public.
Approximately 100,000 travelers were expected to pass through Ben-Gurion Airport today, as more than 20 American refuelers occupy parking stands adjacent to Terminals 3 and 1.
This is lengthening the transport times of luggage to and from aircraft, as well as the shuttling of passengers to and from planes not connected to jet bridges.
The Public Transport Authority confirmed its management has issued a demand to employees to “immediately cease any action that harms regular work and to restore operations to full routine. The Authority views with utmost severity any deliberate action liable to harm the traveling public and the proper functioning of Ben-Gurion Airport, especially during summer peak loads and high operational volumes.”
Labor leader Pinchas Idan calls it ‘torture,’ Miri Regev threatens severe action
Pinchas Idan, leader of the strike, said, “They give us such hard labor; management has no shame – they are torturing the employees of Ben-Gurion.”
בלגן בנתב”ג. אלפים תקועים שם כבר שעות ארוכות לפני או אחרי טיסות, המזוודות נעלמות ופנחס עידן חוגג אבל אל דאגה. ברגע שהשרה רגב חוזרת ממרוקו ודקה אחרי שהיו”ר יפתח רון טל מסיים פאנל לקקני בערוץ המשטר, הם יטפלו במשבר. סמכו עליהם. pic.twitter.com/VJRnMrH1kQ
— יוסי מזרחי Yossi Mizrachi (@yosimiz1) August 20, 2026
‘Italian’ strike, work-to-rule strategy employed at airport
Employees have reportedly resorted to an “Italian” strike, also known as a “work-to-rule” or “slowdown” labor protest strategy, in which employees technically comply with their duties by following official rules and regulations while grinding work to a halt.
This tactic is often used by sectors that are legally restricted from striking, such as customs agents, air traffic controllers, baggage handlers, and the like.
Senior sources in the Transportation Ministry emphasize that if it turns out to be an Italian strike at the peak of the travel season, “heads will roll and workers will go home.”
The director-general of the Transportation Ministry said, “We are investigating the incident; we are in a peak period with refuelers present, but if the investigation reveals an Italian strike, we will act with a very heavy hand against whoever is behind this.”
Udi Etzion and Jerusalem Post Staff contributed to this report.