Logo

Jooish News

LatestFollowingTrendingGroupsBrowse
Sign InSign Up
LatestFollowingTrendingBrowseSign In
Vos Iz Neias

Israel Cabinet Approves Judea-Samaria Land Registration Process in Area C, Sparking Annexation Accusations

Feb 16, 2026·3 min read

JERUSALEM (VINnews)-Israel’s cabinet on Sunday authorized the resumption of a land registration process in Judea and Samaria for the first time since 1967, a move critics denounced as de facto annexation while government officials hailed it as a step toward legal certainty and development.

The decision, which applies to Area C — where Israel maintains full military and civilian control under the Oslo Accords — allocates an initial budget of NIS 244 million ($79 million) for the process from 2026 to 2030. It also establishes 35 new positions across ministries and state agencies to carry out the work.

The registration aims to formalize ownership claims on unregistered land, potentially designating large areas as state land available for Israeli development if private claims cannot be proven. Officials noted the process will be lengthy, with each plot requiring at least a year and a half, and full registration of unregistered land in Area C potentially taking up to 30 years. The government set a target of registering 15% of unregistered land within five years, though setting up the mechanisms could take another 18 months.

The explanatory text for the resolution described the measure as addressing uncertainty over land ownership due to the passage of time, while respecting local law where possible. It also cited the need to counter what it called illegal land registration efforts by the Palestinian Authority in Area C, which Israel says violate bilateral agreements.

“The resolution constitutes a real revolution in Judea and Samaria,” Justice Minister Yariv Levin said. “The Land of Israel belongs to the people of Israel. The Israeli government is committed to deepening its grip on all parts [of the land], and this decision is an expression of that commitment.”

Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich called it a continuation of the “revolution of settlement and the grip on all parts of our country,” arguing it would prevent conflicts, create legal certainty and enable responsible development.

The Palestinian presidency condemned the step as “a de facto annexation of occupied Palestinian territory and a declaration of the commencement of annexation plans aimed at entrenching the occupation through illegal settlement activity.”

Peace Now and Yesh Din, Israeli organizations opposing settlements, also criticized the decision as advancing de facto annexation. Peace Now appealed directly to U.S. President Donald Trump, warning that the move undermines his stated opposition to annexation.

“We are warning President Trump — Netanyahu is deceiving you. You said you would not allow annexation, but he is annexing right under your nose,” a Peace Now source said.

The group noted that while a fair registration process could theoretically benefit all parties, current conditions and regulations make it difficult for Palestinians to prove ownership claims.

Trump has repeatedly expressed opposition to annexation of Judea and Samaria, including comments last week, though critics argue his position overlooks incremental measures by the Israeli government that tighten control over the territory.

View original on Vos Iz Neias