
Israeli Cabinet Secretary Yossi Fuchs on Monday outlined a firm diplomatic and security position regarding Gaza, declaring that Israel will not tolerate continued Hamas rearmament and setting a 60-day deadline for the terror group to fully disarm.
Speaking at the Besheva Conference, Fuchs said Hamas must dismantle “all” of its weapons within two months. If it fails to do so, he warned, Israel will take military action.
“Hamas must disarm from all its weapons — everything. If that does not happen, the IDF will be required to ensure that it does,” Fuchs stated. He made clear that absent full disarmament, Israel would resume large-scale military operations in the Gaza Strip.
Addressing the recent unrest in Bnei Brak connected to the ongoing draft law crisis, Fuchs sought to lower the public rhetoric. He argued that the current tensions stem from the expiration of previous legal arrangements and emphasized that for years there had been an agreed-upon framework regulating the status of yeshiva students.
“If we label a ציבור of one and a half million people as criminals, we will push it toward extremism,” he said, adding that in his view the situation reflects a legal vacuum rather than a failure of governance.
Fuchs also commented on negotiations surrounding the draft law, noting that efforts are underway to formulate a version that will receive the backing of the Knesset’s legal advisers, in order to prevent an interim injunction that could freeze the legislation upon passage.
He indicated that from the coalition’s standpoint, a central objective is for the chareidi factions to actively support the bill, as part of a broad agreement that would ensure both its legal durability and political stability.
When asked whether Israel might one day return to reestablish Jewish communities in Gush Katif, which were evacuated under the 2005 Disengagement Plan, Fuchs responded briefly: “With Hashem’s help.”