Logo

Jooish News

LatestFollowingTrendingGroupsBrowse
Sign InSign Up
LatestFollowingTrendingBrowseSign In
Vos Iz Neias

Albanese Rules Out Bringing IS-Linked Women and Children Back to Australia

Feb 17, 2026·1 min read

CANBERRA, Australia (VINnews) — Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said Monday that Australia will not repatriate women and children with alleged links to the Islamic State group from a detention camp in northeastern Syria.

Thirty-four Australian women and children from 11 families had been expected to leave the Al Roj camp and travel to Damascus for a flight to Australia. However, Syrian officials halted the departure, citing incomplete procedures, and the group was returned to the camp.

Asked about the attempted transfer, Albanese said his government would not assist in bringing them back, stating that those who traveled to Syria to support Islamic State must bear responsibility for their actions.

Al Roj camp houses foreign nationals with suspected ties to the extremist group, including Shamima Begum, who left the United Kingdom as a teenager in 2015 to join the organization.

Australia has previously repatriated some citizens from Syrian detention camps but has taken a case-by-case approach.

View original on Vos Iz Neias