
Vice President JD Vance said Tuesday that discussions between the United States and Iran have been productive so far, though he made clear that Tehran has yet to agree to all of President Donald Trump’s core demands regarding its nuclear ambitions.
In an interview with Fox News, Vance emphasized that the current negotiations over Iran’s illegal nuclear weapons efforts differ sharply from the diplomacy that produced the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action. That agreement drew widespread criticism for failing to block Iran’s path to a bomb and for provisions that critics argued effectively normalized elements of Tehran’s nuclear program through sunset clauses.
President Trump “has shown very clearly that he is not Barack Obama,” Vance stated. “He takes a much different approach to America’s national security, and he’s much more willing to act aggressively to defend America’s national security.”
Vance stressed that the administration’s priority remains preventing Iran from ever obtaining a nuclear weapon, whether through negotiations or other means.
“The President of the United States is very much trying to find a solution here, whether it’s through diplomatic options or through another option, that means that the Iranians cannot have a nuclear weapon. That has always been the main focus,” he said.
The vice president also underscored what he described as the dangers posed by the Iranian government, warning that its leadership cannot be trusted with such destructive capability.
The Iranian regime “is one of the most hostile and also one of the most irrational regimes in the world. You can’t have people like that have the most dangerous weapon known to man. It would be awful for our security. It would be awful for the future of our children. That is the goal of the President of the United States and he’s got a lot of options and a lot of tools to make sure that doesn’t happen.”