
VP Vance: Iran Nuke Talks Showed Some Progress, But Tehran Still Rejecting U.S. Red Lines
U.S. Vice President JD Vance said negotiations with Iran over its nuclear program showed some progress on Tuesday, but warned that Tehran remains unwilling to accept key American red lines.
Speaking in an interview with Fox News, Vance described the latest round of discussions as mixed, with both sides agreeing to continue meeting even as fundamental disagreements remain unresolved.
“One thing about the negotiations this morning is — in some ways it went well,” Vance said. “They agreed to meet afterward, but in other ways it was very clear that the president has set some red lines that the Iranians are not yet willing to actually acknowledge and work through.”
Vance said the central U.S. demand remains preventing Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon, arguing that such a development would destabilize global security and spark a dangerous arms race.
“We will not allow Iran to obtain a nuclear weapon,” he said, adding that a nuclear-armed Tehran would pose a direct threat to American interests and international stability.
Vance also emphasized that Donald Trump retains broad discretion over the future of the talks, including the option to abandon negotiations if progress stalls.
“We’re going to keep on working it,” Vance said. “But of course, the president reserves the ability to say when he thinks that diplomacy has reached its natural end.”
Trump has previously warned that military action remains on the table if Iran advances toward nuclear weapons capability, while simultaneously ordering a buildup of U.S. forces in the Middle East. In recent weeks, however, he has publicly reaffirmed his commitment to pursuing a negotiated solution.
For now, officials say talks will continue, even as Vance’s remarks signal that major obstacles remain before any breakthrough is possible.
(YWN World Headquarters – NYC)