Logo

Jooish News

LatestFollowingTrendingGroupsDiscover
Sign InSign Up
LatestFollowingTrendingDiscoverSign In
Jewish Breaking News

A Dramatic Midair Collision Forced an Airshow Shutdown; What Happened to the Pilots?

May 17, 2026·2 min read

The second day of the Gunfighters Skies Airshow, a free public airshow that showcases the U.S. Air Force’s Thunderbirds, was canceled Sunday after two Navy fighter jets collided in midair during an aerial demonstration. The pilots ejected and were found safe a mile away from the smoke.

The airshow took place at Mountain Home Air Force Base in southwestern Idaho.

“All four of the air crew successfully ejected and they are being evaluated by medical personnel. First responders are on the scene,” the base said in a statement, adding that the incident is being investigated.

“We had four good parachutes,” the Idaho Statesman quoted an air show announcer as saying. “The crews were able to eject. They’re located one mile south of where the smoke is. The parachutes came down.”

The midair collision took place at about 12:10 p.m. local time. At about 1:18 p.m. local time, Mountain Home Police Department officially canceled the event and said that no one should travel to or attempt to enter the base “as a spectator, as the event will no longer be taking place.”

In a later update, police said that the area had been secured and spectators could now exit, as first responders had initially requested that attendees remain in place until the area was secured.

Video showed the jets colliding in midair, then spinning and tumbling to the ground, with flames and smoke billowing out at the point of impact. Four parachutes could also be seen opening in the sky an instant after the crash occurred.

The Gunfighter Skies Air Show in Idaho, which was scheduled for May 16 and 17, was supposed to include aerial performances, static displays, and history and science exhibits. The 366th Fighter Wing, which performs in the show, is stationed at the Mountain Home Air Force Base.

“The Gunfighters are proud to open our gates and share our mission with the community we call home,” Col. D. Ray Gunter, commander of the 366th Fighter Wing, had previously said. “This event attaches a face to the mission, showcasing the skilled professionals and dedicated Airmen who make airpower possible.”

This was the first Gunfighters Skies Airshow held in eight years.

View original on Jewish Breaking News