Logo

Jooish News

Belaaz

Report: Netanyahu Alarmed Following Trump Call As Iran Negotiations Continue

May 20, 2026·2 min read

A US source told Axios that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s “hair was on fire after the call,” referring to the recent conversation between the Israeli prime minister and President Donald Trump regarding ongoing negotiations with Iran.

Israeli officials, however, downplayed the characterization somewhat, noting that Netanyahu “is always concerned” about the direction of talks with Iran, including during earlier negotiation rounds that ultimately collapsed.

Both the Prime Minister’s Office and the White House declined to comment to Axios regarding the report.

According to Axios, mediators have spent recent days attempting to close remaining gaps surrounding the latest Pakistani-backed proposal. Two Arab sources and one Israeli source said Qatar recently presented both the United States and Iran with a revised draft agreement.

A separate Qatari source disputed that characterization, saying there is no independent Qatari proposal and that Doha is instead trying to refine the existing Pakistani framework.

The latest diplomatic push is reportedly focused on obtaining firmer Iranian commitments to curb its nuclear program, while also securing stronger American guarantees to gradually release frozen Iranian assets held overseas.

The report added that both Qatar and Pakistan dispatched delegations to Tehran earlier this week to discuss the newest version of the proposal with Iranian officials.