
A U.S.-flagged commercial ship operated by a Maersk subsidiary has made a successful journey through the Strait of Hormuz under American military escort, signaling a renewed push to reopen one of the world’s most critical shipping lanes.
According to CNBC, the vessel Alliance Fairfax completed its passage on Monday without any incidents. The crew was unharmed after being stranded at sea since February 28, when hostilities involving Iran disrupted maritime traffic in the region.
The Strait of Hormuz, a narrow but vital corridor linking the Persian Gulf with the Gulf of Oman, typically handles roughly 20 percent of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas shipments. However, shipping activity has been largely halted amid the fighting, leaving numerous commercial vessels unable to pass.
United States Central Command confirmed that two U.S.-flagged merchant ships have now successfully navigated the strait. U.S. Navy guided-missile destroyers have been deployed in the area to shield commercial vessels and ensure continued access through the waterway.
Officials said the escorted crossings are part of a broader effort to reestablish normal shipping operations and assist vessels that had been stuck during the conflict.
Regional tensions remain elevated following recent drone and missile attacks in the United Arab Emirates, along with reports of U.S. strikes targeting Iranian vessels in the strait.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi commented on the situation, saying recent developments “make clear that there’s no military solution to a political crisis.”
He added, “As talks are making progress with Pakistan’s gracious effort, the U.S. should be wary of being dragged back into quagmire by ill wishers. So should the UAE. Project Freedom is Project Deadlock.”
President Donald Trump issued a warning that Iran would be “blown off the face of the earth” if it attacked American vessels tasked with protecting commercial shipping in the strait.
Trump also indicated that the confrontation could continue for “another two or three weeks,” pointing to mounting pressure on Iran’s energy infrastructure.
“One way or the other, we win,” Trump said, adding that the United States has already achieved major battlefield successes.
He further stated that Iran’s naval strength has been significantly weakened in recent engagements, describing what remains of its forces as limited.
{Matzav.com}