
Report: Israel Operated Two Secret Bases in Iraqi Desert for Over a Year
Israel reportedly maintained at least two covert military facilities in Iraq’s western desert for more than a year, using them as operational hubs for missions connected to Iran, according to a detailed report published by The New York Times.
The report, which cited Iraqi and regional security officials, said planning for the makeshift bases began in late 2024 as part of preparations for future Israeli Air Force and commando activity targeting Iran.
According to the report, Israeli planners sought remote desert locations that could function as staging grounds and logistical support centers for long-range operations.
One of the alleged bases was reportedly located near al-Nukhaib in western Iraq. The site is said to have been discovered in early March after a local shepherd, 29-year-old Awad al-Shammari, unexpectedly came across the compound while traveling through the area.
Relatives of al-Shammari and regional military officials told the newspaper that the shepherd managed to alert Iraqi military commanders after observing soldiers, helicopters, tents, and an improvised landing strip in the desert.
Shortly after reporting what he had seen, al-Shammari was allegedly pursued by a helicopter, shot, and killed. His vehicle was later set on fire, according to the report.
The incident reportedly caused major political and security upheaval inside Iraq, particularly amid allegations that Iraqi radar systems had been temporarily disabled under American direction during periods of regional fighting in order to avoid interference with U.S. aircraft.
The day after the shepherd’s report, Iraqi military officials reportedly sent a reconnaissance force to investigate the site. According to the report, the force came under intense fire, resulting in one Iraqi soldier being killed, two others wounded, and two vehicles destroyed in airstrikes, forcing the team to retreat.
During subsequent closed-door meetings between Iraqi Chief of Staff Gen. Abdul Amir Yarallah and senior American military officials, U.S. representatives reportedly confirmed that the forces operating in the area were not American troops, strengthening suspicions within Baghdad that the installations were operated by Israel.
Following the confrontation, Iraqi military commanders were summoned to a confidential parliamentary hearing on March 8. During the session, Iraqi lawmaker Hassan Fadham reportedly claimed that Israel had established an additional secret outpost elsewhere in Iraq’s western desert.
According to the report, a second Iraqi security official later confirmed the existence of another covert site.
Regional security sources told The New York Times that the desert facilities played an important logistical role by allowing Israeli aircraft to refuel closer to Iran, dramatically shortening operational flight distances.
The report added that the al-Nukhaib base is no longer believed to be active, while the current status of the second alleged outpost remains unclear.
{Matzav.com}