
Israel Preparing for Gaza-Bound Flotilla Organized by Marmara Activists Amid Fears of Violent Resistance
Israeli officials are preparing for the arrival of the “Global Sumud” flotilla, which departed Thursday from the Turkish coastal city of Marmaris and is heading toward the Gaza Strip. According to current estimates, the flotilla — organized by the IHH organization, which was behind the 2010 Mavi Marmara flotilla — is expected to reach the area within the next two to three days.
An Israeli source said authorities believe activists aboard the ships may behave more violently than in previous incidents. According to the official, Israel is expected to seize control of the vessels and detain those onboard, with concerns that some activists could physically resist arrest or even use melee weapons.
Israel reportedly attempted through diplomatic channels to prevent the flotilla from departing Turkey, but those efforts were unsuccessful. According to the report, the United States also approached Turkey and requested that the flotilla be stopped before departure, but those attempts likewise failed.
A diplomatic source said Prime Minister Bibi Netanyahu has already held a preliminary security consultation regarding the flotilla, which Israeli officials say includes Hamas supporters and is intended to breach the naval blockade on Gaza. According to the source, Netanyahu is expected to convene an additional operational meeting with senior security officials.
Israeli authorities are reportedly preparing for the arrival of approximately 50 vessels. Among the activists believed to be onboard are Saif Abu Kashk, a Palestinian resident of Spain, and Thiago Avila, a Brazilian citizen. Both men were arrested late last month after the Israeli Navy intercepted the “Spring 2026” flotilla, which had departed from Spain en route to Gaza.
After being questioned in Israel and deported, Abu Kashk and Avila reportedly traveled to Turkey and boarded ships participating in the new flotilla. An Israeli official said this time Israel does not intend to release them quickly.
Following their previous detention in Israel, the two activists launched a hunger strike protesting their arrest and denied the allegations against them. The Adalah legal organization, which represented them, claimed the pair endured psychological abuse and were denied proper treatment. Israeli officials rejected those accusations and alleged the activists were involved in offenses including membership in a terrorist organization, aiding the enemy during wartime, and maintaining contact with terror operatives.
Following their deportation, Israel’s Foreign Ministry described the activists as “professional provocateurs” and reiterated that Israel would not permit violations of the naval blockade surrounding the Gaza Strip.