Logo

Jooish News

LatestFollowingTrendingGroupsDiscover
Sign InSign Up
LatestFollowingTrendingDiscoverSign In
Yeshiva World News

SAME OLD GAMES: Tehran Submits “New” Peace Proposal That Looks A Lot Like The One Trump Called “Garbage”

May 19, 2026·2 min read

Iran’s latest peace proposal to the United States calls for reparations for damage caused by the U.S.-Israeli war, the withdrawal of American forces from areas near Iran’s borders, an end to the U.S. naval blockade of Iranian ports, the lifting of sanctions and the release of tens of billions of dollars in frozen Iranian assets, state media reported Tuesday.

In Tehran’s first public comments on the proposal, Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi told the official IRNA news agency that the offer also called for an end to hostilities on all fronts, including Lebanon. The terms appear largely unchanged from the proposal President Trump dismissed last week as “garbage.”

The disclosure landed a day after Trump announced he had paused a planned resumption of strikes on Iran, citing requests from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates and what he described as a “very good chance” of reaching a deal limiting Iran’s nuclear program. Officials in the three Gulf capitals told The Wall Street Journal they had been unaware of any imminent U.S. strike plan, contradicting the central element of the president’s announcement.

Iran’s military signaled defiance even as its diplomats laid out terms. The army warned Tuesday that it would “open new fronts” if fighting resumed. “If the enemy is foolish enough to fall into the Zionist trap again, we will open new fronts against it, with new equipment and new methods,” army spokesman Brig. Gen. Mohammad Akraminia told the semiofficial ISNA news agency.

A Pakistani source confirmed that Islamabad, which has conveyed messages between the two sides, had passed the proposal to Washington. “The sides keep changing their goalposts,” the source said. “We don’t have much time.”

A senior Iranian official said Monday that Washington had agreed to release a quarter of Iran’s frozen funds and shown flexibility on allowing peaceful nuclear activity under International Atomic Energy Agency supervision. The Trump administration has not confirmed any concessions, and a U.S. official denied a report by Iran’s Tasnim news agency that Washington had agreed to waive oil sanctions during the talks.

(YWN World Headquarters – NYC)

View original on Yeshiva World News