Logo

Jooish News

LatestFollowingTrendingGroupsDiscover
Sign InSign Up
LatestFollowingTrendingDiscoverSign In
Yeshiva World News

🚨 Ben-Gvir Taunts Gaza Flotilla Activists, Causing Diplomatic Crisis And Coalition Clash

May 20, 2026·3 min read

Israeli National Security Minister released video footage showing detained Gaza flotilla activists kneeling handcuffed at Ashdod Port after Israeli forces intercepted the vessels attempting to breach the naval blockade of Gaza and brought the pro-Hamas activists to Israel.

The footage shows activists shouting “Free Palestine” as officers restrain several individuals while Ben Gvir tours the facility, waving a large Israeli flag and declaring in Hebrew: “Welcome to Israel, we’re in charge here.”

They were also forced to listen to the Israeli national anthem.

Your browser does not support the video tag.

 

The visit sparked a severe diplomatic crisis and an open confrontation within the coalition.

Foreign Minister Gideon Sa’ar launched an unprecedented attack on Ben-Gvir, accusing him of directly harming Israel’s national interests.

“You knowingly caused damage to the state with this disgraceful spectacle — and not for the first time,” Sa’ar attacked Ben-Gvir. “You threw away enormous professional and successful efforts carried out by many people — from IDF soldiers to Foreign Ministry staff and many others. No, you are not the face of Israel.”

The foreign minister’s attack came after days in which officials from the Foreign Ministry and the IDF worked around the clock to manage the diplomatic and public relations battle surrounding the takeover of the flotilla.

Officials in Israel’s diplomatic establishment said international criticism over the flotilla interception itself had been expected and was being managed, but that the official footage released by Ben-Gvir from inside the detention facility dramatically changed the picture and triggered harsh reactions in Europe.

Following the incident, Israel’s ambassador in Rome was summoned for an urgent clarification and reprimand meeting at the Italian Foreign Ministry.  Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni and Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani issued a furious statement demanding an apology for Israel’s treatment of the pro-Hamas activists and Israel’s “total disrespect” for Italy’s requests.

The statement did not mention the activists’ “disrespect” of Israel’s autonomy and its blockade of a murderous terror group.

“The images of Israeli Minister Ben Gvir are unacceptable. It is unacceptable that these protesters, including many Italian citizens, are subjected to this treatment that violates their human dignity,” the statement said.

Ben-Gvir responded to the controversy by saying: “There are people in the government who still have not understood how one should behave toward terror supporters. Israel’s foreign minister is expected to understand that Israel has stopped being a punching bag. Anyone who comes into our territory to support terrorism and identify with Hamas will get hit, and we will not turn the other cheek.”

(YWN Israel Desk—Jerusalem)

View original on Yeshiva World News