
Rubio Cautiously Optimistic On Iran, Warns Washington Has ‘Other Options’
Marco Rubio said Thursday that negotiations with Iran are showing encouraging developments, though he cautioned that the situation remains fragile and warned that the United States is prepared to pursue other measures if diplomacy ultimately fails.
Speaking with reporters, Rubio struck a cautiously hopeful tone regarding the high-level discussions with Tehran, while making clear that Washington is keeping all options available.
“There are some good signs,” Rubio told reporters, adding, “I don’t want to be overly optimistic, as well. So, let’s see what happens over the next few days.”
Rubio explained that although American negotiators have managed to make progress in the talks, internal divisions within Iran’s ruling system continue to complicate efforts to reach a lasting agreement.
“But obviously we’re dealing with a system that itself is a little fractured.”
.@SecRubio on Iran: "@POTUS's preference is to do a good deal… I'm not here to tell you that it's going to happen for sure, but I'm here to tell you that we're going to do everything we can to see if we can get one. If we can't get a good deal, @POTUS has been clear — he has… pic.twitter.com/dhah7hSlvV
— Rapid Response 47 (@RapidResponse47) May 21, 2026
The secretary of state emphasized that the Trump administration’s primary goal remains a broad and enforceable agreement capable of eliminating the threats posed by the Iranian regime. He stressed that President Donald Trump continues to favor a diplomatic resolution if one can be successfully achieved.
“It’s always been his preference. If we can get a good deal done, that would be great. I’m not here to tell you that it’s going to happen for sure, but I’m here to tell you that we’re going to do everything we can to see we can get one,” Rubio stated.
At the same time, Rubio warned that the administration’s willingness to negotiate should not be mistaken for weakness, signaling that serious consequences could follow if Tehran rejects American demands.
“But if we can’t get a good deal, the president’s been clear; he has other options. I’m not going to elaborate on what those are, but everybody knows what those are. But his preference is always a deal. His preference is always an agreement. His preference is always diplomacy,” he added.
Rubio’s comments followed Trump’s recent revelation on Truth Social that the United States had prepared to launch strikes against Iran on Tuesday but delayed the operation because what he described as “serious negotiations” were underway.
Trump also addressed the standoff with Iran earlier this week during remarks at a Congressional picnic held at the White House.
“I think we’re going to be finished with that very quickly,” Trump said.
The president added that Iranian officials appear eager to finalize an agreement and repeated his insistence that Iran will never be permitted to obtain nuclear weapons.
“They want to make a deal so badly. They’re tired of this, and we’re going to be finished with that very quickly. Hopefully, we’re going to get it done in a very nice manner,” he added, while once again stressing that “they won’t have a nuclear weapon.”
On Thursday, Trump predicted that the confrontation with Iran would soon come to an end while reiterating that Tehran will not be allowed to keep its stockpile of enriched uranium.
During remarks in the Oval Office, Trump said the United States intends to seize the highly enriched material and likely destroy it afterward.
“We will get [the highly enriched uranium]. We don’t need it. We don’t want it. We’ll probably destroy it after we get it – but we’re not going to let them have it,” Trump said.
Addressing the ongoing negotiations, Trump said the administration is continuing diplomatic efforts but insisted the outcome regarding Iran’s nuclear ambitions is non-negotiable.
“Right now, we’re negotiating, and we’ll see, but we’re going to get it one way or the other. They’re not going to have a nuclear weapon.”
Trump also touted American military dominance in the region, claiming the United States has effectively shut down movement through the Strait of Hormuz and severely weakened Iran’s military infrastructure.
“We have total control of the Strait of Hormuz. The blockade has been 100% effective. Nobody’s been able to get through. It’s like a steel wall. We have the greatest military anywhere in the world. We wiped out their Navy, we wiped out their aircraft. I would say we knocked out about 85% of their missile capacity,” the President stated.
{Matzav.com}